Find a Doctor
Saint Luke's cardiovascular surgeons are among the finest-trained and most experienced anywhere. Our surgical teams perform the full spectrum of surgical cardiovascular interventions, including:
- Coronary bypass
- Aortic aneurysm repair
- Vascular surgery
- Lung repair
- Esophageal repair
- Valve repair and replacement
Care coordination and integration is supported by the close physical proximity of surgeons and cardiologists in the Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute's state-of-the-art building. The surgical team is backed up by a full complement of critical care physicians, including cardiac anesthesiologists and critical care intensivists who provide 24-7 care in a dedicated Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit.
Saint Luke's cardiovascular surgery program features:
- The region’s only active adult heart transplant program and ranks among the top 10 centers nationwide for the number of adult heart transplants
- LVADs (left ventricular assist devices) or mechanical pumps to treat heart failure patients. Through destination therapy, LVADs can provide long-term support and greatly improve the quality of life for patients not eligible for cardiac transplantation.
- Comprehensive management of aortic disease
- Outcomes that surpass national benchmarks for quality. For example:
- We exceed the national benchmark for the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) Registry.
- We exceed the 2012 national benchmark for CMS measures—strategies that have been studied and shown to decrease infection, decrease complications, and decrease mortality in surgery patients.