1. Joyner RW, Overholt ED, Ramza B, Veenstra RD: Propagation through electrically coupled cells: two inhomogeneously coupled cardiac tissue layers. Am J Physiol, 247(4 Pt 2):H596-609, Oct, 1984.
2. Kienzle MG, Tan RC, Ramza BM, Young ML, Joyner RW. “Alterations in endocardial activation of the canine papillary muscle early and late after myocardial infarction.” Circulation, 76(4):860-74, Oct, 1987.
3. Young ML, Ramza BM, Tan RC, Joyner RW. “Adenosine and hypoxia effects on atrioventricular node of adult and neonatal rabbit hearts.” Am J Physiol, 253(5 Pt2):H1192-8, Nov, 1987.
4. Joyner RW, Ramza BM, Tan RC, Matsuda J, Do TT: “Effects of tissue geometry on initiation of a cardiac action potential.” Am J Physiol, 256(2 Pt 2):H391-403, Feb, 1989.
5. Tan RC, Ramza BM, Joyner RW: Modulation of the Purkinje-ventricular muscle junctional conduction by elevated potassium and hypoxia. Circulation, 79(5):1100-5, May, 1989.
6. Young ML, Tan RC, Ramza BM, Joyner RW: Effects of hypoxia on atrioventricular node of adult and neonatal rabbit hearts. Am J Physiol, 256(5 Pt 2):H1337-43, May 1989.
7. Osaka T, Ramza BM, Tan RC, Joyner RW: Developmental changes in the electrophysiologic properties of rabbit papillary muscles. Pediatr Res, 26(6):543-7, Dec, 1989.
8. Ramza BM, Tan RC, Osaka T, Joyner RW: Cellular mechanism of the functional refractory period in ventricular muscle. Circ Res, 66(1):147-62, Jan, 1990.
9. Joyner RW, Ramza BM, Tan RC: Effects of stimulation frequency on Purkinje-ventricular conduction. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 591:38-50, 1990. No abstract available.
10. Joyner RW, Ramza BM, Osaka T, Tan RC: Cellular mechanisms of delayed recovery of excitability in ventricular tissue. Am J Physiol, 260(1 Pt 2):H225-33, Jan, 1991.
11. O'Rourke B, Ramza BM, Marban E: Oscillations of membrane current and excitability driven by metabolic oscillations in heart cells. Science, 265(5174):962-6, Aug 12, 1994.
12. O'Rourke B, Ramza BM, Romashko DN, Marban E: Metabolic oscillations in heart cells. Adv Exp Med Biol, 382:165-74, 1995.
13. Johns DC, Nuss HB, Chiamvimonvat N, Ramza BM, Marban E, Lawrence JH. Adenovirus-mediated expression of a voltage-gated potassium channel in vitro (rat cardiac myocytes) and in vivo (rat liver). A novel strategy for modifying excitability. J Clin Invest, 96(2):1152-8, Aug, 1995.
14. Schactman M, Cote PM, Ramza B: The importance of atrial contribution: a case study of dual-chamber pacing in hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Heart Lung, 26(5):345-9, Sept-Oct, 1997.
15. Ramza BM, Rosenthal L, Hui R, Nsah E, Savader S, Lawrence JH, Tomaselli G, Berger R, Brinker J, Calkins H: Safety and effectiveness of placement of pacemaker and defibrillator leads in the axillary vein guided by contrast venography. Am J Cardiol, 80(7):892-6, Oct 1, 1997.
16. Hui RC, Rosenthal L, Ramza B, Nsah E, Lawrence J, Tomaselli G, Berger R, Calkins H: Relationship between the upper limit of vulnerability determined in normal sinus rhythm and the defibrillation threshold in patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol, 21(4 Pt 1):687-93, Apr, 1998.
17. Nsah E, Berger R, Rosenthal L, Hui R, Ramza B, Jumrussirikul P, Lawrence JH, Tomaselli G, Kass D, Calkins H: Relation between impedance and electrode temperature during radiofrequency catheter ablation of accessory pathways and atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia. Am Heart J, 136(5):844-51, Nov, 1998.
18. Calkins H, Ramza BM, Brinker J, Atiga W, Donahue K, Nsah E, Taylor E, Halperin H, Lawrence JH, Tomaselli G, Berger RD: Prospective randomized comparison of the safety and effectiveness of placement of endocardial pacemaker and defibrillator leads using the extrathoracic subclavian vein guided by contrast venography versus the cephalic approach. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol, 24(4 Pt 1):456-64, Apr, 2001.
19. O'Keefe JH Jr, Abuissa H, Jones PG, Thompson RC, Bateman TM, McGhie AI, Ramza BM, Steinhaus DM: Effect of chronic right ventricular apical pacing on left ventricular function. Am J Cardiol, 95(6):771-3, Mar 15, 2005.
20. Crossley GH, Mead H, Kleckner K, Sheldon T, Davenport L, Harsch MR, Parikh P, Ramza B, Fishel R, Bailey JR; LVCM Study Investigators: Automated left ventricular capture management. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol, 30(10):1190-200, Oct, 2007.
21. Thompson RC, Thibodeau JM, Ramza BM: Computed Tomography angiographic demonstration of collateral circulation in superior vena cava syndrome. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr, 2(1):57-8, Jan, 2008. Epub, Dec 23, 2007.
22. Smith EN, Kowal RC, Villarasa N, Goldburg H, Rosenthal L, Ramza B, Alaeddini, J, Han X, Damani S, Shaw M, Murray SS, Topol EJ: Genome-wide Association of Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Activation with Life-Threatening Arrhythmias. JAMA October 19, 2010.
23. Poole JE, Gleva MJ, Mela T, Chung MK, Uslan DZ, Borge R, Gottipaty V, Shinn T, Dan D, Feldman LA, Seide H, Winston SA, Gallagher JJ, Langberg JJ, Mitchell K, Holcomb R, REPLACE Registry Investgators. Collaborators: Eldman LA, Seie H, Winston S, Gallagher JJ, Langberg J, Dan D, Shamp D, Knight B, Epstein A, Costea A, Gelormini J, Borge R, Joglar J, Kaplan A, Tomassoni G, Birgersdotter-Green U, O’Neill PG, Ramza B, Chung M, Jongnarangsin K, Sterns D, Wathen M, Chooucair W, Chen J, Beinart S, Prager N, Reddy R, Hussain H, Marques V, Saba M, Rho R, Goldstein R, Mela T, Gottapaty V, Martin D, Mittal S, Desai P, Sheppard R, Al-Khatib K, Katcher M, Cole C, Malik R, Bernstein R, Quan K, Lakireddy D, Johnson N, Solomon A, Kadri N, Curtis A, Fontanet H, Varma N. Complication rates associated with pacemaker cardioverter-defibrillator generator replacements and upgrade procedures: results from the REPLACE registry. Circulation 2010 October 19: 122(16): 1553-61.
24. Magalski A, McCoy M, Zabel M, Magee LM, Goeke J, Main ML, Bunten L, Reid KJ, Ramza BM: Cardiovascular Screening with Electrocardiography and Echocardiography in Collegiate Athletes. Amer Jour of Med, Vol 124; (6):511-518, June 2011.
25. Wilkoff BL, Bello D, Taborsky M, Vymazal J, Kanal E, Heuer H, Hecking K, Johnson B, Young W, Ramza BM, Akhtar N, Kuepper B, Hunold P, Luechinger R, Puererfellner H, Duru F, Gotte MJW, Sutton R, Sommer T, on behalf of the EnRhythm MRI SureScan Pacing System Study Investigators. Magnetic resonance imaging in patients with a pacemaker system designed for the magnetic resonance environment. J Heart Rhy Soc, 2(1):65-73, Jan, 2011.
26. Quartieri F, Compton SJ, Milasinovic G, op den Kamp J, Li P, Ramza BM. Do venous approach and lead characteristics affect the fracture rate of pacing leads? Insights from a long-term analysis in a large sample. Submitted Mar, 2011.
27. Biffi M, Exner DV, Ramza B, Coutu B, Tomassoni G, Kranig W, Li S, Kristiansen N, Voss F. Occurrence of phrenic nerve stimulation in cardiac resynchronization therapy patients: the role of left ventricular lead type and placement site. Europace July 29, 2012.
28. Konduru S, Cheema A, Li Y, Jones P, Ramza B, Wimmer A. Differences in Intraprocedural ACTs with Standardized Heparin Dosing During Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation in Patients Treated with Dabigatran vs Patients on Uninterrupted Warfarin. J Interv Cardiac Electrophysiol 2012;35(3):277-284.
1. Joyner RW, Overholt ED, Ramza BM, Veenstra RD. Interaction Between Two in Homogeneously Coupled Layers of Cardiac Tissue. 28th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, Feb, 1984.
2. Ramza BM, Li H, Leonard MT, Bruch PM, Collins SM, Martins JB. Accuracy of Phase Imaging on Predicting the Electrical Activation Sequence of the Canine Heart. 35th Annual Scientific Session American College of Cardiology, Mar, 1985.
3. Collins SM, Martins JB, Li H, Bruch PM, Ramza BM. Identification of Ventricular Pacing Sites by Radionuclide Phase Imaging: Comparison to Radiolabelled Pacing Sites. 35th Annual Scientific Session American College of Cardiology, Mar, 1985.
4. Ramza BM, Matsuda J, Do TT, Tan RC, Joyner RW. Effect of Lidocaine on Rabbit Conduction Velocity and on Action Potentials of Isolated Cells. 31st Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, Feb, 1987.
5. Tan RC, Ramza BM, Joyner RW. Effects of Elevated Potassium and Hypoxia on Canine Subendocardial Action Potential Propagation. 31st Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, Feb, 1987.
6. Joyner RW, Ramza BM, Tan RC. Theoretical Model for Purkinjie-Ventricular Conduction in the Canine Ventricle. 71st Annual FASEB Meeting, Mar, 1987.
7. Young ML, Ramza BM, Joyner RW. The Effects of Hypoxia and Adenosine on the Electrophysiologic Function of the Adult and Neonatal Rabbit AV Node. American Pediatric Society/Society for Pediatric Research, Apr, 1987.
8. Tan RC, Ramza BM, Joyner RW, Kienzle MG. Chronic Infarction in the Canine Papillary Muscle: Modulation of Purkinje Activation. 60th Annual Meeting of the American Heart Association, Circ, 76:IV-114, 1987.
9. Tan RC, Ramza BM, Joyner RW. Geometrical Effects on Cardiac Action Potential Initiation. 32nd Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, Feb, 1988.
10. Ramza BM, Tan RC, Osaka T, Joyner RW. Cellular Basis for the Functional Refractory Period. 33rd Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, Feb, 1989.
11. Joyner RW, Ramza BM, Tan RC. Effects of Tissue Geometry on Anti-arrhythmic Drug Action. Current Topics in Anti-arrhythmic Agents: Mode of Action and Clinical Usage. Nagoya Japan, Mar, 1989.
12. Osaka T, Ramza BM, Tan RC, Joyner RW. Developmental Changes in the Electrical Properties of Rabbit Papillary Muscles. 34th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, 1990.
13. Tan RC, Ramza BM, Osaka T, and Joyner RW. Cellular Mechanism of Cardiac Tissue Refractoriness for Premature Excitation. 34th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, Feb, 1990.
14. O'Rourke B, Ramza BM, Marban E. Primary Oscillations of ATP Driven by Glycolysis in Heart Cells: A Novel Arrhythmogenic Mechanism? Circ, 88(4):I-231, 1993.
15. Ramza BM, O’Rourke B, Marban E. Primary Oscillations of ATP Driven by Glycolysis in Heart Cells: Implications for Anti-arrhythmogenesis and Contractile Dysfunction. 38th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, 1994.
16. O’Rourke B, Ramza BM. Oscillations in KATP and Excitation-Contraction Coupling Driven by Oscillations in Energy Metabolism: An Intrinsic Modulator of Cardiac Excitability. Finalist for the Melvin L. Marcus Young Investigator Awards in Cardiovascular Integrated Physiology Abstracts. Circ, 90(4):I-K, 1994.
17. Ramza BM, O’Rourke B, Marban E. Oscillations of excitability and excitation-contraction coupling driven by glycolysis in heart cells: Implications for arrythmogenesis and contractile dysfunction. American Federation of Clinical Research Meeting, Recipient of the Henry Christian Award for Excellence in Clinical Research, 1994.
18. John D, Nuss HB, Chiamvinmonvat N, Ramza BM, Marban E, Lawrence J. Modification of cellular excitability by a recombinant adenovirus encoding a voltage-gated potassium channel. 68th Scientific Session of the American Heart Association, Nov, 1994.
19. Hui R, Orias D, Rosenthal L, Ramza BM, Lawrence JH, Tomaselli GF, Berger RD, Calkins H. Upper limit of vulnerability in sinus rhythm: Does it predict the defibrillation threshold? Circ, 94(8):1-99, 1996.
20. Ramza BM, Rosenthal LS, Hui R, Lawrence JH, Tomaselli GF, Berger RD, Brinker J, Calkins H. Contrast venography is a safe and effective approach to implantation of pacemaker and ICD leads via axillary vein. J Am Coll Cardiol, 29(2):511A, 1997.
21. Nsah E., Berger RD, Rosenthal LS, Hui R, Ramza BM, Jumrissinkul P, Lawrence JH, Tomaselli GF, Kass D, Calkins H. Initial impedance predicts temperature during radiofrequency catheter ablation. J Am Coll Cardiol, 31(2):154A, 1998.
22. Ramza BM, Nsah E, Donahue K, Taylor E, Atiga W, Kreps BJ, Halperin H, Lawrence J, Tomaselli G, Berger R, Brinker J, Calkins H. Prospective randomized comparison of pacemaker and ICD lead implantation via the cephalic approach versus a contrast-guided approach to the axillary vein. Circ, 98(17):I-787, 1998.
23. Hui R, Rosenthal L, Ramza BM, Nsah E, Lawrence J, Tomaselli G, Berger R, Clakins H. Upper limit of vulnerability in sinus rhythm: What is its chronic reproducibility? 18th Annual Scientific Session of the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology, May, 1997.
24. Coman Jr JA, Ramza BM, Margolis PD. Application of a simplified risk assessment for sudden cardiac death. J Am Coll Cardiol, 37(2):111A, 2001.
25. Coman Jr JA, Martin ET, Ramza BM, Margolis PD. Application of a simplified risk assessment for suddencardiac death. J Am Coll Cardiol, 37(2):436A, 2001.
26. Magalski, A, McCoy, M, Zabel, K, Magee, L, Goeke, J, Bunten, L, Dew, M, Hajdu, M, Reid, K, Ramza, BM. Electrocardiographic screening in competitive collegiate athletes. Submitted to ACC, 2002.
27. Steinhaus D, Ramza BM, Hebert K, Cloutier J, Nelson M, Mid America Heart Institute, Medtronic Inc. Ventricular Electrical Separation: Does Conduction Change Over Time with Cardiac Resynchroniczation? PACE, 26(4):1042, 2003.
28. Steinhaus D, Ramza BM, Wong G, Hebert K, Nelson M, Cloutier J, Kane M, Mid America Heart Institute, Cardiac Solutions, Medtronic Inc. Biventricular Pacing: Is There a Benefit to Measuring Electrical Separation at Implant? PACE, 26(4):1120, May, 2003.
29. O’Keefe JH, Thompson RC, Kahatapitiya R, Jones PG, Ramza BM, Steinhaus DM. Standard Right Ventricular Apical Pacing Associated with Deterioration of Left Ventricular Function. J Am Cardiol, 43(5):323A, 2004.
30. Ramza BM, Kao AC, Daniel WC; Cardiovascular Consultants, MO. Application of guidelines into practice for sudden cardiac arrest through supplementation of a novel protocol. AHA, 2007.
31. Ramza BM, Exner DV, Hebert K, Thompson N, Hays JC. Versatility, Safety, and Efficacy of a New Left Ventricular Dual Electrode Lead. On Behalf of the 4196 Study Investigators. Mid America Heart Institute, Kansas City, MO, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Medtronic, Minneapolis, MN. Heart Rhythm, Vol 5, No. 5, May Supplement, 2008 P04-88.
32. Saxonhouse SJ, Aaron MF, Aranda JM, Bourge RC, Magalski A, Ramza BM, Cornell S, Kueffer F, Conti JB. Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy is Associated with Lower Ambulatory Right Heart Pressures. On Behalf of the COMPASS HF investigators. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, St. Thomas Hospital, Nashville, TN, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, Mid America Heart Institute, Kansas City, MO, Medtronic, Minneapolis, MN. Heart Rhythm, Vol 5, No. 5, May Supplement, 2008 P04-78.
33. Myers, CL, Ramza, BM. Over utilization of ICDs? Results from a large multi-subspecialty cardiology clinic. Presented at 12th annual heart failure society meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Sept, 2008.
34. Ramza BM, Exner DV, Hebert K, Thompson N. On behalf of the 4196 Study Investigators, J. Christian Hays, MD. Versatility, Safety, and Efficacy of a New Left Ventricular Dual Electrode Lead. 2008 PO4-88.
35. Ramza, BM, Hays, JC, Magalski, A, Bourge, R, Reynolds, D, Haffey, K, Hebert, K, Sakowski, B, Kueffer, F. On behalf of the COMPASS and Chronicle Phase I/II Investigators. Mid America Heart Institute, Kansas City, MO, University of Alabama at Birgmingham, Birmingham, AL, Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, Medtronic, Minneapolis, MN. Presented at Heart Failure Society of America. Pressure sensing lead: evaluation of electrical and mechanical integrity for chronic heart failure management and future pacing application. Presented at Heart Failure Society, Toronto, Ontario, Sept, 2008.
36. Magalski A, McCoy M, Zabel M, McGee L, Goeke J, Bunten L, Dew M, Hajdu M, Reid K, Ramza BM. Electrocardiographic Screening in Competitive Collegiate Athletes. JACC, Vol 53(10)Sup A:A142-143, Mar, 2009.
37. Ramza BM, Nguyen P, Murray C, Germany R, Spertus J, Sears S. Registry evaluating functional outcomes of resynchronization management (REFORM). Oral Abstract presentation at AHA Scientific Sessions. Nov, 2009.
38. Quartieri F, Compton S, Ramza B, Milasinovic, Op den Kamp J, Li S. Does lead introduction site affect pacing lead fracture rate? Insights from a long term analysis in a large sample. Abstract presented at AHA Scientific Sessions November 2010.
39. Exner D, Crossley G, Ramza B, Coutu B, Tomassoni G, Kranig W, Foreman B, Li S, Simmons K, and Voss F: Retention of cardiac resynchronization therapy in a variety of LV lead models. Abstract AB08-6 presented at Heart Rhythm Society May, 2011.
40. Biffi M, Exner D, Crossley G, Ramza B, Coutu B, Tomassoni G, Kranig W, Foreman B, Li S, Kristiansen N, and Voss F. Incidence of Phrenic Nerve Stimulation in CRT patients across multiple left ventricular leads, Abstract AB30-4 presented at Heart Rhythm Society, May 2011.
41. Binner L, Taborsky M, Bello D, Heuer H, Ramza B, Jenniskens I, Johnson B. The 5086MRI pacing lead for use during Magnetic Resonance Imaging demonstrates electrical and handling performances comparable to a well-established screw-in pacing lead, Abstract presented at Europace 2011, June 27, 2011.
42. Quartieri F, Compton SJ, Milasinovic G, op den Kamp J, Li P, Ramza BM. Long-term left ventricular lead survival rate reported in a large CRT patient population. Presented at Europace June, 2011.
43. Ramza BM, Sears SF, Murray C, House J, Kennedy P, Thompson R, Fedewa MM. Longitudinal Investigation of Patient Centric Outcomes: Comparisons between CRT-D vs. ICD Patients. , Abstract #150268 presented at the 15th Annual HFSA Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA, Sept. 20, 2011
44. Konduru S, Cheema A, Jones P, Li Y, Ramza B, and Wimmer A.Heparinization during Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation: A Comparison of Patients Treated with Dabigatran vs Patients Maintained on Warfarin. Abstract PO2-138 presented at Heart Rhythm Society, May, 2012
Books, Chapters, Reviews, Editorials
1. Joyner RW, Ramza BM, Tan RC. “Effects of Tissue Geometry and Antiarrhythmic Drug Action” In: Current Topics in Antiarrhythmic Agents: Modes of Action and Clinical Usage. Eds J Toyama and I Kodama, sElsevier. Science Publishers: Amsterdam, 1989.
2. O’Rourke B, Ramza BM, Romashko D, Marban E. Metabolic Oscillations in Heart Cells: In Molecular and Subcellular Cardiology: Effects of Structure and Function. Sideman and Beyer (eds.): New York, Plenum Press, pp165-174, 1995.
3. Marban E, Ramza BM, Romashko D, O’Rourke B. “Nonjunctional Channels of Cardiac Cells and Metabolic Oscillations as Contributors to Discontinuous Conduction” In Discontinuous Conduction in the Heart. Spooner PM, Joyner RW, Jalife J. Futura Publishing Company: Armonk, New York, 1997.